The IWSC announces the results of its 2022 Mixer Awards
- Ukrainian Dima’s Three Grain Vodka wins the Vodka & Tonic trophy
- Low/No drinks included for the first time in the mixer awards and gold medals awarded to Novara Bitter Aperitivo from Bark & Bitter, Nochino Ruby Aperitif from Vlčie and Livener from Three Spirit Drink
The IWSC has announced the results of its 2022 Mixer Awards, sponsored by Double Dutch Drinks.
Medals for these awards are based on how a participant tastes when mixed with Double Dutch Indian Tonic Water or Double Dutch Sparkling Water.
Looking for the perfect match, categories for these awards include Gin & Tonic and Vodka & Tonic. New for 2022, two new reward categories have been added – Tequila & Tonic and Whiskey Highball.
These awards are not limited to spirits, for the first time this year, little and no alcohol was also included in this year’s tasting.
Gin & Tonic Mixer Awards
The most popular category of the IWSC Mixer Awards, judges were on the hunt for the world’s best gin and tonic paired with Double Dutch Indian Tonic Water. Six gold medals were awarded in this category:
- As de Picos Classic Gin, Compañia Lebaniega de Vinos y Licores
- Barossa Dry Gin, Seppeltsfield Road Distillers
- London Dry Gin, Vanagandr Destilerias
- Musician’s Cut Gin, Seppeltsfield Road Distillers
- Navy Strength Gin, Wolf Lane Distillery
- Trading Tides Gin, Third Eye Distillery
The combination that was considered the ultimate pairing for 2022 and awarded this year’s Gin & Tonic trophy was London Dry Gin from Vánagandr Destilerías.
48 silver Gin & Tonic medals were awarded and 78 bronze Gin & Tonic medals.
Vodka & Tonic Mixer Rewards
For the Vodka & Tonic Awards, our judging panel was tasked with finding the best combination of Double Dutch Indian vodka and tonic.
Twenty medals were awarded, six silver medals and thirteen bronze medals. And the IWSC was delighted to award the only gold medal in this category as well as this year’s Vodka & Tonic Trophy to Three grain vodka from Dima. As with all IWSC attendees, Ukrainian vodka was tasted blind and found to be the best accompaniment to Double Dutch’s Indian Tonic Water.
Highball Mixer Whiskey Awards
One of our newest categories and one that has proven to be an incredibly popular addition to our awards, the Whiskey Highball Mixer Awards awarded 46 medals in its first year.
19 silver medals were awarded and 21 bronze medals with the highest number of gold medals in this year’s ranking. Six participants from Australia, Japan, Spain and the United Kingdom received a gold medal:
- Japanese Smooth 8 YO Blended Scotch Whisky, Dewar’s
- Left-Field Single Malt Whisky, Starward
- Mythical Beasts 15 Year Old Single Cask Sherry, Spirit Filled
- Nomad Outland Whisky, González Byass
- Okayama Triple Cask Single Malt Whiskey, Miyashita Sake Brewery
- Perfectly Balanced 12 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whiskey, Loch Lomond
The inaugural trophy for the highball whiskey category was awarded to Starward’s Left Field Single Malt Whiskey
Low & No Mixer Rewards
For the first time this year, low- and no-alcohol entrants were judged alongside tonic water and sparkling water.
Eight medals were awarded in the low/no drinks with sparkling water category, including a gold medal for Novara Bitter Aperitivo from Bark & Bitter
There were 18 medals awarded in the low/no drink with tonic water category, including two gold medals. From Slovakia, Aperitif Nochino Ruby from Vlčie was a gold medalist, the other was Livener of three spirit drinks.
Tequila & Tonic Mixer Rewards
Another new category for the 2022 awards, 4 silver medals were awarded and a bronze medal was awarded to participants.
For a full list of IWSC 2022 winners, go here on our website.