Nnamdi Kanu trial: Wetin you need to know and expect as Ipob chief returns to court
The Nigerian government is not filing additional new charges against Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB) leader Nnamdi Kanu from seven to 15 as the trial resumes on Tuesday, January 18, 2022 in court.
Kanu bin dey is facing seven counts that border on terrorism, treason, secession and I am a member of the IPOB group which has become an outlaw.
They are also accused of saying they spread lies about President Muhammadu Buhari, but Kanu bin does not deny all the allegations.
Kanu’s legal team has confirmed the new charges that the government’s filing charges just 24 hours for the main trial.
The trial of the leader of Ipob takes place on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
The trial took place for Court 4 before Judge Binta Nyako.
The lawsuit comes days after Nigerian President Buhari said he did not see any political solution in the Kanu case and must face the law.
Wetin fit hapun wen Kanu’s trial continues on Tuesday
Kanu’s trial for the court always comes with a drama as the security officers do not allow the officers to enter the court premises freely.
Tuesday’s case is no different – the presence of security guards goes all the way.
Only very few pipo will have access to the courtroom with the trial happening for the respect of the covid protocol that the court respects.
Di court will resume from 9:00 a.m. but di case did start from 10:00 a.m. or 11:00 a.m. Ifeanyi Ejiofor na im leads the team of lawyers and Kanu shows up in court.
The trial is not a secret trial.
They will probably say that the defense lawyer is going to raise a motion to challenge the jurisdiction of the court to hear Kanu mata in the interest of how they repatriate him and that Naija should be tried.
Accusing us all the way, let’s say that the Nigerian government is not following the due international procedure nor the legal way to bring Kanu back to di kontri.
For the sake of dat, di court has no power to hear di mata.
The prosecution lawyer will try to defend the government and why we are taking this approach to repatriate Kanu and ask the court to continue the trial.
Seven Amended Counts Kanu Faces
Nigerian government bin sama Kanu has been charged with alleged acts of terrorism and treason before the federal attorney general’s office to amend the charges against Kanu and file it as a motion on notice to court.
Dis na di amended charges against Kanu:
• Say Kanu allegedly used a radio show im from London to brag about splitting the South East, South South and parts of Nigeria’s Kogi and Benue states to form the territory of Biafra.
• Say Kanu reportedly used a radio broadcast from London to insult Nigerian President Muhammdu Buhari as he called the president a “paedophile, terrorist, idiot and embodiment of evil”.
• Say that Kanu would have imported a radio transmitter which would be a TRAM 50L which he would hide inside a container and keep for Ihiala, Anambra State.
•Say Kanu reportedly declared himself to be a member of the Indigenous People of Biafra (Ipob), a group where the Nigerian government does not ban.
• Say that Kanu allegedly committed acts of terrorism by using the London radio show to encourage members of the banned Ipob to attack Nigerian security officers and family members.
• Saying that Kanu allegedly committed acts of terrorism and incited members of the public to kill police officers
• Say that Kanu would have committed terrorism while I boast of saying that it will happen and that pipo will die.
• Say Kanu allegedly used the London radio show to commit an act of terrorism by declaring to sit at home and threaten death on pipo wey non obey the order.
• Say Kanu allegedly committed terrorism as we use im radio to incite pipo to stage a violent revolution against the feds
Say Kanu allegedly committed acts of terrorism as we used im radio to order members of the public to burn down government facilities in Lagos
• Say that Kanu has committed an act of terrorism as he uses im radio to incite the public to destroy the public transport system in Lagos causing major economic loss
• To say that Kanu would have committed acts of terrorism by inciting the members of Ipob to manufacture bombs
• Saying that Kanu allegedly committed acts of terrorism by inciting members of the public to stop elections in Anambra State and destroy the political and economic fabric of Nigeria
• Say that Kanu allegedly committed acts of terrorism as he threatens with death anyone who does not obey and stays at home to write his own will
Chronology of the Nnamdi Kanu trial from 2015
October 2015: Dem arrests and charges Kanu on the main charges of treason, illegal possession of weapons and illegal importation of broadcast equipment, for the Federal High Court in Abuja.
October 2015: Kanu and im the defendants deny the charges against them.
December 2015: Court order for the release of Nnamdi Kanu but the federal government refuses to comply.
December 2015: The di federal government files a five-count treason charge against Chief di Ipob and for 2016 three courts decide to force them to lock down Kuje Prison, citing national security threats.
May 2016: Nnamdi Kanu shouts at ECOWAS court and blames President Buhari saying he won’t give bail.
April 2017: The Federal High Court in Abuja grants Kanu bail on “health grounds”.
April 2017: Kanu becomes a free man again after 18 months in detention.
September 2017: Kanu japa from Naija.
September 2017: Di lawyer wey dey represent Kanu say im neva yan wit im client since september 14, wen soy invades im house for imo state.
October 2017: Wen’s court resumes Kanu’s treason trial, and fails to show up.
June 2021: The Federal Di government repatriates the Ipob leader to Nigeria to continue his trial. The Nigerian Minister of Justice announces that he says he does not catch me and he returns to di kontri.
June 2021: Court order requiring them to be locked up for SSS custody until July 26.
July 26, 2021: The Court adjourned the case to October 21.
October 21: Dem brings Kanu to court with a lot of security and court adjourned until November 10
November 10, 2021 Nnamdi Kanu’s lawyers stage court walkout after SSS does not allow some of the defense lawyers to enter the courtroom
November 10, 2021 Di presiding judge came to move di case to January 19, 20, 2022
December 2, 2021: Di court holds an emergency session with Nnamdi kanu’s lawyers asks the court to bring forward the trial date and the court agrees and offers 18, 19, 20